Go Green with Home Improvements
Every day we hear about the damage being done to the environment, but few seem to take action to do anything about it. Perhaps, many homeowners may not know where to start. There are several ways we can help change the world to be a more eco-friendly place, and by doing simple home improvements it can help in a huge way.
- Water One of the greatest environmental concerns is wasting water. One way to address this issue is to install an efficient irrigation system that will help reduce the amount of water wasted. Also, there are certain plants you can put around your home that will consume less water, too. Shading your home with plants and trees will keep your home cooler, which will also help use less air-conditioning.
- Lighting – Another eco-friendly home improvement is natural lighting. Natural lighting will save energy but only if the proper windows are installed. Make sure you have the right shutters/blinds, too so you can control the amount of light coming in. Using eco-friendly light bulbs will not only reduce your energy bill, but will keep less bulbs out of landfills as well.
- Roofing – Solar panels are another great way to go green. With today’s technology, solar panels are a reasonable option for your home. They even have solar panel shingles that you can replace your roof with. If solar panels are not for you, tile is durable and will keep your house cooler in the summer.
- Insulation – Insulation is key to a more eco-friendly home. It is essential because proper insulation lowers your HVAC bill. Without the right insulation in your home, energy is constantly being wasted.
- Appliances – If you want to go to the extent of updating your appliances it will save you money in the long run. Updating your kitchen with an eco-friendly refrigerator and dishwasher will go a long way. You can even install a high efficient washer/dryer and toilet, too.